Take Control of Your Financial Future Today
At Zero Debt Law Firm, our McHenry County debt collection defense lawyers are skilled, experienced, and results-focused. We help our clients eliminate debt—including aggressively defending lawsuits from debt collectors. If you have any questions about debt collection defense, professional guidance and support is available. To set up a strictly confidential consultation, call us at (312) 858-3240.
Three Steps to Take If You are Being Sued By a Debt Collector in Cook County
Are you being sued by a debt collector in McHenry? If so, it is imperative that you take action to protect your legal rights and financial interests. A lawsuit is fundamentally an “allegation” by a debt collection company. They do not get to have the final say. You can and should defend yourself because even if you think you might owe the money, you can win the case. Here are three important steps to take if you are being sued by a debt collector in Illinois:
- Gather any collection letters or notices from the debt collector: These documents are valuable because they may contain information different from the lawsuit or they may have violated a federal law for debt collectors. Save the copy of the notices you have received, including the notice that you are being sued.
- Do Not Ignore the Lawsuit: The biggest mistake you can make is ignoring a debt collection lawsuit. It will not go away on its own. Instead, the debt collector will get a Default Judgment. With a Default Judgment, a debt collector automatically wins the case—even though you may have had valid defenses available. They could use a Default Judgment to freeze your bank accounts and pull money out, garnish your wages or get a lien on property.
- Consult with an Attorney: You do not have to go up against a debt collection company alone. They fight aggressively to get at your money—not what is best or fair for you and your family. The sooner you consult with an experienced McHenrydebt collection defense lawyer, the better position you will be in to win your case. Your case could be even dismissed outright—meaning you owe nothing.
You May Have a Counterclaim Against a Debt Collector (FDCPA, FCRA, etc)
If you are being sued by a debt collector, it is important to check if the debt collector violated the law. In far too many cases, debt collectors violate the rights of people. Our law firm sues debt collectors. Your rights may have been violated under state or federal law, including the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. In short:
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA): The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) is the most important federal laws relating to debt collection. It prohibits debt collectors from using abusive and misleading tactics to pursue a debt. A debt collector can be held liable for damages through an FDCPA lawsuit.
How Our Illinois Debt Collection Defense Lawyer Can Help
Dealing with a debt collection lawsuit is never easy. It is stressful, frustrating, and confusing to be sued by a debt collector. The good news is that you have legal rights. Do not ignore a debt collection lawsuit—it is better to litigate than face a default judgment. The defense team at Zero Debt Law Firm can help. Among other things, our McHenrydebt collection defense lawyers are prepared to:
- Listen to your story and answer questions about debt collection lawsuits;
- Investigate the debt—gathering evidence to build your legal defense;
- Evaluate your case for any claims that you can bring against the debt collectors; and
- Devise a comprehensive strategy focused on getting you the best outcome.
Debt collection cases are complicated. The small details always matter. Our litigators can build the most effective debt collection lawsuit defense strategy. With a history of testimonials from our clients and success in litigation, you can rely on our McHenry debt collection defense attorneys for top quality legal representation.
Call Our Glenview, IL Debt Collection Defense Attorney Today
At Zero Debt Law Firm, our McHenry collection defense lawyers have the professional skills, legal experience, and tenacity that you can trust. We have a record of winning debt collection lawsuits. If you are being sued by a debt collector, our litigation team is here to protect your rights. Contact us at (312) 858-3240 to set up a confidential initial consultation. We provide debt collection lawsuit defense services in McHenry and throughout the surrounding region in Cook County.